So yesterday I turned to try the Firefox trunk source, which is the Firefox 3. There were some compiling issues to solve (e.g. can't use the official branding option as the resource manager can't compile the icon). Eventually, I got the source compiled! But then the big problem came: the browser would crash just after rendering a page.
At first I thought it has to do with the compiler options (need to admit that I was quite aggressive on using O2, arch:SSE2 etc options :P). But after 10+ hours of tweaking and re-compiling, the problem still won't go away.
This morning, I noticed that the browser crash has something to do with the gkgfxthebes.dll library. Since Thebes is the C++ wrapper for Cairo, I tried to tweak the options for the default toolkits. And suddenly the browser worked without problem. But then, when I tried to remove the tweaking and re-compile, the browser still works! So I guess the crash was caused by programming bugs and someone just fixed them last night... orz
Anyway, will now try various optimization parameters...
PS. Currently I am using this .mozconfig. Can really feel the rendering speed improved when using SSE2.
. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -arch:SSE2 -EHsc -GLT" ac_add_options --disable-debug ac_add_options --enable-static ac_add_options --disable-shared ac_add_options --disable-tests mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=browser ac_add_options --disable-activex ac_add_options --disable-activex-scripting ac_add_options --disable-xpconnect-idispatch ac_add_options --disable-accessibility
Post a Comment