The glibc on Tumbleweed was broken since the March 2018 release. Any call to resolve IPv4 will cause core dump. Seems to be hitting an ARM erratum. Details discussion can be found here
The glibc RPMs released on 2018-04-10 seems resolved the issue. Since DNS won't work on the affected machine, will need to manually specify IP addresses in the hosts file or copy the files to the machine and run zypper to install updates.
Here are the steps for the second approach:
- Download the RPMs from repository
to another machine
- Copy the files to the affected machine via scp. Then remote to the affected machine and execute the followings.
- Temporarily disable remote repositories to avoid auto refresh that will cause core dump when running zypper install.
sudo zypper lr # list repositories
sudo zypper mr -d 1 # disable the first repository
sudo zypper mr -d 2 # disable the rest
- Install the RPMs
sudo zypper in glibc-2.27-4.2.aarch64.rpm glibc-devel-2.27-4.2.aarch64.rpm glibc-extra-2.27-4.2.aarch64.rpm glibc-locale-2.27-4.2.aarch64.rpm
- Re-enable remote repositories
sudo zypper mr -e 1 # re-enable the first repository
sudo zypper mr -e 2 # re-enable the rest
- Reboot and check. Run "sudo zypper dup" to update other packages